Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Religious Persecution and a Picture of Human Dignity

Just left the Washington Time's: " Stop Religious Persecution Now!: Interactive Discussion for People of All Faiths" co-sponsored with the Universal Peace Federation USA and The Washington Times Foundation.  The program was set up in 4 major sections: Religious Freedom and U.S. Foreign Policy, Persecuted Faith Groups, Public Policy Affecting the Current Session of Congress  and a Media Workshop. These sections integrated key people from various religious, advocacy, professional and political backgrounds. Keynote address was from In Jin Moon whose family has financial ties to the Washington Times, ironically before she stepped up to speak, her band called "Sonic Cult" (things that make you go hmmm), performed a Bob Dylan song and some other song that carried the same like sentiment and obviously connected with Moons "church," philosophy: " humans determine their destiny, we are our own Messiah's, obtaining happiness...etc." (sounds like a lot of preaching from Christian pulpits today) I digress...because this was not the point of this post....lol!

To see the picture of various religious groups, faith groups, and racial and ethnic groups coalescing to bring attention and to stop religious persecution was a beautiful sight to see. At this event I was one that represented a Christian worldview, I also saw fit that this beautiful sight posed a great opportunity to show how this picture of human dignity points to Christ. Dr. Barrett Duke demonstrated this point-of-view well in his talk. I don't just say that because of my connection with the ERLC but because he did. He was very intentional with telling the gospel story, he was not offensive but bold. He also converged our worldview in a clear way with the importance of engaging public policy for the human rights of those that are religiously persecuted for their faith, whatever faith they choose or choose not to believe. 

Honestly, religious persecution was not far up there on my list in regards to bringing attention to its social injustice, until recently. It was largely due to my small,  naive conception of this world around me...I've taken advantage of my liberty to worship, read the bible, and practice my faith. Although a Christian nation--that does not necessarily mean this nation advocates for true, biblical, Christ-centered principles--it is far unlikely that I will ever face persecution for my faith. I probably will face more opposition for my gender or skin-color than anything. To imagine the courage, strength and radical faith it would take my international brother or sister to actually proclaim their faith even in light of harm and death is inspiring and shows how much I am a coward! Real talk, sometimes I talk myself OUT OF sharing the gospel often to people. On the other hand, to think that humans would (and often times its other social and religious extremist that persecute other religious groups) is depraved, sad and outright stupid! This is a major issue, especially since Christians are the majority group that are religiously persecuted. 

It wasn't until I visited other countries for missions that I understood the necessity of expanding my scope and interpretation on life outside of little ole Durham, Raleigh or Greensboro---to a larger context North Carolina and an even larger context--other nations. However, this emphasis on human dignity must play out domestically too of course. My friend tweeted today "before you go to the uttermost parts of the earth...say Hi to your neighbor." God knew what he was doing when he commanded us "to not kill, steal, bear false witness against our neighbor, commit adultery, covet...to love God and love our neighbors as ourselves." It provides us with several moral implications and responsibilities. This is one reason why we advocate for the rights of others! 

I take for granted so many liberties, one my religious and two my autonomy because African-Americans are not far removed from its long history of oppression and violence. A lot of its baggage and residue still plays out in our communities today. I digress again. 

This all put me in mind of the following video, it brought me to tears when I first saw it. How precious, sweet and marvelous is your word God! 



No comments:

Post a Comment